Take a minute to read the first installment of today's World Doula World Blog Series: 21 Things You Might Not Know about Victoria McCollum. In addition to owning The Virginia Baby Company, she wears many hats, including that of a Labor and Postpartum Doula, Postpartum Placenta Specialist, all around super-mom, and a firm believer that life is made better through laughter. Come laugh with her for a minute...
1. I lived in Portland, Oregon until my early teens, then California, then I moved to Baltimore for college and early adulthood before I landed in historic Fredericksburg to start a family.
2. I am a certified Group Aerobics instructor. My favorite is water aerobics, because I love to work out in the water! (The coolness of the water can make it feel like you're not working as hard!)
3. I went to college knowing I was going to be a physician, with a specialty in pediatrics. I applied to medical school, then decided not to go. Instead, I decided to...
4. ...teach public school for 6 years before moving to Fredericksburg to stay home with our children. I taught grades kindergarten through 12, my favorite was definitely high school.
5. I gave birth to three children in four years. I know, I can't believe it either.
6. I love to read, and have my whole life. I was reading chapter books by the time I was five years old.
7. I've always been a life-sciences nerd, and if I hadn't been a Spanish teacher, I would have taught biology.
8. I think a good yoga practice (or class) can solve just about any of my life's problems. And when it doesn't, there's always chocolate.
9. I love to garden, but only the kind that provides food for my family. We have over 50 crowns of asparagus planted in our yard, but not really any flowers.
10. I refuse to eat Jello. It's a texture thing.
11. One of my favorite ways to relax is to snuggle up on the couch with my husband and kiddos for a Family Movie Night. Since my kids are all preschool-aged boys, current Movie Night Favorites include Despicable Me 2, Wall-E, The Lion King, and Cars.
12. I graduated from high school in a town whose name, when translated into English, means "Lard". Good ol' Manteca. Never heard of it? Don't feel badly, no one else has either. :)
13. No one ever consistently and uncompromisingly bought me movie popcorn until my husband, who bought it for me on our first date, and since then has ALWAYS made sure my movie-snacking needs are met. In return, I married him and bought him a Christmas ornament to commemorate his thoughtfulness.
14. I didn't own a car or a cell phone until I was a senior in college. We could say it was because I was frugal, but it was mostly because I LIKED walking and communicating face to face. Don't get me wrong, I now LOVE both my minivan and my iPhone, but I knew once I made those purchases, I would never go back, and I enjoyed putting off the inevitable for a while.
15. I bought my first house as a single woman, and I fixed it up knowing I was going to sell it someday, so I tried to keep things neutral. Except the kitchen. The kitchen was fire-engine red, which was exactly what I wanted.
16. I cannot remember a time when I didn't wear glasses, and I prefer them to contacts.
17. I got my entrepreneurial spirit from my dad, who owned many businesses in his life, but I got my work ethic from my mom, who is still working very long hours to be an excellent 3rd grade teacher.
18. I lived outside of Madrid, Spain for three months. The best parts about living there were the history (I went to school in a building that was built before Europeans were in "The New World"), and the wine that was always included in your mid-day meal.
19. I have Bachelors' Degrees in Spanish Literature, Fine Arts and Life Sciences from Loyola University in Maryland. My Master's Degree is from The Johns Hopkins School of Education in Curriculum Writing and Spanish Education. And now I'm a doula... :)
20. After a lot of frustration, I finally figured out that my kids will eat just about anything if they help make it. Zucchini and artichokes, here we come!
21. I'm so grateful to have found a career that brings together my passions for birth and early parenthood with supporting and empowering women and families, both as a business owner and as a doula.
Please comment below if you've had Victoria as your doula, or if you've learned something new about her! We're looking forward to hearing from her fans!!